This section is mostly open access, with no login requirements. We welcome feedback on these pages and hope they are of assistance.
Pre-referral guidelines are located in the Referrals section of the Portal.
General paediatric clinical guidelines
- BHS general index (A-Z topic list)
- Paediatric Portal referral guidelines for BHS focused mainly on chronic presentations & outpatient care
- Statewide CPGs
- CPGs endorsed for statewide use by the Victorian Paediatric Clinical Network and endorsed wholly by BHS
- Links can be found via either:
- clicking the linked heading above for a full list and link of those available, or
- clicking BHS CPGs link below (search word 'paediatric' will find all of them)
- BHS CPGs (internal only)
- Independent CPGs developed by BHS for use within BHS
- Limited number of CPGs are accessible externally.
- Royal Children's Hospital (RCH) CPGs
- RCH specific CPGs widely used throughout other institutions, focusing on acute presentations
- Forensic assessment resources
- see the Clinical section of the Portal for links.
- Newborn Handbook
- Handbook for neonatal acute care developed by statewide committee in conjunction with PIPER
- BHS Special Care nursery & other neonatal guidelines
- BHS Drug information (including prescribing information for children)
- AMS (Antibiotic Stewardship) classification of antimicrobials (2014)
- BPMH (Best Possible Medication History) "How to use" guide
- RCH antibiotic guidelines
- RCH antibiotic guideline card
- Immunisation information
- BHS IV & enternal fluid practices, protocols & charts
- Maintenance Fluids - RCH maintenance fluids calculator
- IV maintenance fluid (McNab JPCH 2016) - excellent article reviewing the evidence for various IV fluid choices in children
- Fluid resuscitation choices (Long JPCH 2016) - good overview of avoiding excess IV fluids